- This event has passed.
Mind the GaaP! Should Government provide a digital platform or should it be the platform?
04/03/2015 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pmBy invitation only
PICTFOR and COADEC will host a debate in the House of Commons.
GaaP is the buzzword in digital government circles, Government as a Platform is the view that Government should be the platform for digital service providers – from the private sector – to deliver the services citizens need from social care to turning on your lamppost. But some argue that Government is more than ‘just’ a platform for services, that the public sector has a unique role and that whilst we need a common platform for application sharing across central and local government, Government has a role to play beyond being an operating system.
Are these questions of ideology or technology? What does it mean for public sector IT architecture or even for democracy? How do we architect an ecosystem of organisations that will build and use a government platform? And whether Government is or needs a platform should it take Apple, Android or Amazon for its model or something else entirely? At this PICTFOR/COADEC co-hosted debate five leading experts from economics, industry, academia and government will give their view, chaired by Chi Onwurah MP.
Chair: Chi Onwurah MP, Shadow Cabinet Minister & PICTFOR co-chair
- Professor Helen Margetts, Director, Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford
- Eileen Burbidge, Partner, Passion Capital
- Tom Baker, Former CIO Sunderland City Council and Norfolk County Council, currently Development Director, Smarter and Healthier Cities, BT Global Services
- Professor Mariana Mazzucato, RM Phillips Professorship in the Economics of Innovation at the Science Policy Research Unit, University of Sussex
- Mike Bracken, Executive Director of Digital in the Cabinet Office, and head of the Government Digital Service (GDS)
* This debate is invitation only. If you have a special interest in the topic and would like to request an invitation please contact PICTFOR Secretariat at email@example.com.